Geoffrey W. Schultz

Default ssb or satelite phone

An SSB gets you daily nets where you can check in, get weather and
communicate with other cruisers. You can also get HF faxes, GRIB files, e-
mail, etc, etc. Emergency frequencies are monitored by various agencies.

A Sat phone allows you to make phone calls. Most other cruisers won't have
one or only use it for outgoing calls. Covergage can be spotty even in
areas where you're supposed to have coverage.

I have both and view them as complementary services. If I need to make a
call from in the middle of nowhere, I can. However, don't rely on a sat
phone in emergency situations. Just look at it as another card in your
hand.

If you're looking at one or the other, I'd get a SSB.

-- Geoff

"Andre Venter" wrote in news:U5ydnWr3K9KzYUSiU-
:

Which is a better idea - ssb or satelite phone?