Jere Lull

Default BASIC Radio Question

Bobsprit wrote:

I'm not clear on marine SSB radios. Can someone explain how they differ from
standard VHF? A friend is now offering me a pretty expensive Icom SSB. I doubt
I have a need for it, but it's basically free. I may just tell him to sell it
on ebay. I was thinking of adding a AM/SSB (CB) radio to the boat which would
be better than the GMRS.
So can someone explain what the marine SSB is? Is it VHF with upper and lowers?

The SSB is very similar to your CB SSB radio, though it's quite a step
up: closer to ham long distance radios, with CB-style simplicity. You
can talk long distance, get & send your email, get weather faxes and
other nice things for the cruising sailor. That's where you hear Herb &
some of the various cruising nets.

It's not so necessary for coastal cruisers, but it's a fun toy that you
might learn to love. I'd snap it up.

(Gosh, it's been a while since I used my SSB CB. People still use them?)

--
Jere Lull