Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Capsize Prevention

"Jeff" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"Justin C" wrote in message
In article lutions,
Capt. JG wrote:
Rule 25:

(e) A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by
machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical
shape,
apex downwards. A vessel of less than 12 meters in length is not
required
to exhibit this shape, but may do so.
Those damn rules should be read, read, and re-read. Something new is
uncovered every time. I shan't worry about not displaying my cone in
future!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Yep... I read an abbreviated version of (e) at one point, and I almost
bought a day shape.

The ColRegs do require the inverted cone for all boats, but the Inland
Rules exempt smaller boats. Here in New England, its very common to to go
outside the ColRegs line. In fact, there are lots of moorings within a
few hundred yards of the line. However, I have almost never seen the
cone, with the exception larger commercial sailboats. I would guess that
the majority of 12+ meter boaters have never heard of it. On the other
hand, I've heard that some countries are sticklers for it - My memory is
that Britain is lax but France absolutely requires it.

I can imagine that this is a bit of a non-issue in SF, since many boats
never go outside the line. The same is true for LIS, Chesapeake, etc.

I rarely go past the demarcation, although we do cross under the Gate fairly
regularly.. Haven't had the occasion to go into international this summer. I
might get one for next season, but most of the lessons can be done inside.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com