posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Capsize Prevention

"Jeff" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

Example: On my previous boat, I would generally power only within a few
hundred yards of the slip, both leaving and returning. But the engine,
an elderly Westerbeke, needed about 5 minutes before it could be put in
gear without stalling. This meant that anytime time I came back from a
long sail with a cold engine, I had to sail through a busy harbor with
an engine running that was not available for use.

I'm wondering if there was something wrong with it? Diesels don't really
need much of a warm up. They like being under load and warm up when under
load. I don't warm up my Westerbeke (13). If I'm going to leave the slip,
I start, put it in reverse after about 30 seconds, perhaps a minute, and
leave. It's never stalled yet.

All I can say is that once warmed up, it ran fine. But if I went into
gear too soon, it would cough and die. It was, IIRC, a "30" based on a
Mitsubishi block. My newer Yanmar 2GM20F's are much better, starting
almost instantly, and ready to go in less than a minute (but I still wait
5 minutes, out of habit). I've also known Atomic 4's that had to warm up,
but if you knew the engine well you could compensate with the choke.

A4s.... I've always warmed them up. Never had to do that with my Weste.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com