doug dotson

Default ssb or satelite phone

The CG's handling of SSB is a bit unclear to me. We were in a situation
where
VHF contact was marginal. I asked the CG if I could contact them via SSB and
they said no, they did not support SSB frequencies.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Dick" wrote in message
Which is a better idea - ssb or satelite phone?

It depends on who you want to talk to. If you want to talk to the friends

that
you have met while cruising or the Coast Gaurd then SSB. If you want to

call
home then you can use the satelite phone or ham. If you are going to use

email
then ham or SSB are still good and they are cheaper so most cruisiers go

the
cheaper route. When and if satelite phones become cheap then more cruisers
while use them.

Dick