doug dotson

Default ssb or satelite phone

You can make phone calls via SSB as well although not as convienient
as on a satphone. If you are a ham then it is free. Free email as well for
hams. For serious cruisers, obtaining a ham license is well worth the
effort.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Mike Cobbe" wrote in message
.. .

Satellite phone is a better idea. SSB is nearly DEAD.

Sorry but that is nonsense. SSB is thriving in the cruising community. As
said elsewhere, safety nets, weather nets, weatherfax etc etc.

We have both. The satphone is only for the odd call home and to take in
the liferaft. If we could only have one it wouldn't even be a close
contest, SSB wins by miles.

Mike