posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Capsize Prevention

Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:44:15 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

If I turn on my engine, even if it's in neutral, I consider
myself a powerboat.

That is the way the rules are being taught and interpreted these days.

That's not the way I was taught. I was taught that a boat should behave
as it appears, which is why a "drift fisherman" is still a powerboat
(i.e. underway, not making way). If the sailboat looks like its
sailing, the other boat has to treat is though its a sailboat.

But the over-riding point is that if an accident could be prevented by
simply putting it in gear, the sailboat is obligated to do so.

But this brings up the point: if a sailboat has an electric motor, then
by your logic its always a powerboat, because you only have to flip a
switch to be "engaged."