posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Capsize Prevention

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:32:26 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:44:15 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

If I turn on my engine, even if it's in neutral, I consider
myself a powerboat.

That is the way the rules are being taught and interpreted these days.

Not really. Even Americas Cup racers are permitted to run an engine
for charging purposes while racing.

I have an outboard on my boat. If I am just noodling around and not
trying to set any speed records, I may leave the engine in the water
while sailing, even though it is not running. That may look like I'm
motoring to you, but if you don't see a black sphere hanging from my
spreaders, or a steaming light, I'm a sailboat.

That's the LAW.

If I am running my engine in neutral, I am still 100% a sailboat. That
is the law. It is the responsibility of all mariners to pay attention
to lights and dayshapes.

Also bear in mind that a boat that is motoring with it's sails up is
somewhat restricted in it's ability to manuver. Power boats can slow,
stop, and turn immediately in any direction. A motorsailer, not so
much.

If I see a black sphere in your rigging I will assume that you are
anchored, since that's what that shape says. A steaming sailboat requires
an inverted cone shape. How many have one aboard; how many actually deploy
it?

I've never heard of the CG enforcing that with sailboats, even though they
could if they wanted to. It doesn't apply to my boat, since it's under 12
meters. The rule doesn't say anything about an engine running.

Rule 25:

(e) A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by
machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical shape,
apex downwards. A vessel of less than 12 meters in length is not required
to exhibit this shape, but may do so.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com