Jere Lull

Default Choice of Dinghy

Bobsprit wrote:

No trouble getting on and off from the boat. I've had inflatables, and I don't
see any really clear advantage for the inflatable in this regard. Inflatables
are highly overated and over priced as tenders.

Can you put 5 adults into a 10 foot portaboat with the same measure of safety?
My quicksilver is rated to carry 1150 lbs of people and gear. I've had about
800lbs or so on board my inflatable with no trouble. The 10 foot P-boat is
something like 575 lbs max and it's just not as stable.
I'm NOT bashing the Portaboat. I just think the inflatable has an advantage in
this area, IF you need it.
That said, my wife says getting the deflated dinghy out of the cabin is like
dragging Orson Wells to the morgue! We may look into a Port-a-boat again when
we get our next boat.

We have the 12' and have comfortably (and dryly) hauled 5 full sized
middle-aged adults around the anchorage under power. Each had a
comfortable seat facing forward instead of sitting on the tubes and
getting their butts wet.

Note that ratings for inflatables are very different than other boats
because the tubes have so much buoyancy. 'Course they also cut down the
usable space for gear and supplies. The PortaBote (or any hard dink)
isn't rated for the same loads, but I'm more comfortable hauling heavy
loads around with it.

--
Jere Lull