H. Chris Spreckley

Default Calculating distance from Lat/Long

Dear Lloyd,

I've picked this up rather late. If you still require the answer[s] then get
back to me including telling me whether you have a book of tables known as
"Norries Tables". If not I can give you an arithmetic method by calculator.
Basically you work out the D'Lat [difference in minutes of latitude] and
Dep(arture), then converting Dep into D'Long [differnce in minutes of
Longitude]. From which can be determined Dist(ance) and Co(arse) made good,
or of course the reverse having only course and distance find the rest.

Chris Spreckley

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I'm writing a program for Linux that displays position (from GPS) on a
scanned-in chart, and would like it to calculate distance from current
position to the cursor.

How do you calculate distance between two points using lat/long? If
they're due North/South, I can do it ( 1 minute of lat = 1 NM) but how do
you calculate distance from longitude? Perhaps some formula based on the
circumfrence of the Earth at the equator and the latitude?

Lloyd Sumpter