Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

Default Personalised Yacht Logbook -Spam discussion

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:40:15 GMT, Terry Spragg
wrote:

I would be more comfortable if we took a very strong stand
against advertising from corporate businesses, but were much more
relaxed when it comes to private proprietorships, cool aid
(registered trade mark of general foods if Capitalised, I
believe) stands, that sort of thing.
...much thoughtful content snipped for brevity...

I don't really have much of an issue with anything you said.

However, I would note that the charter of this group specifically
precludes for-sale posts, which I take to include advertisements of
any kind. The charter is a social contract of sorts and these are all
that separate us from anarchy. Whether this is a good thing or not is
open to discussion, preferably carried on elsewhere. ;-)

Other groups specifically allow on-topic product announcements and the
like (e.g., r.b.electronics and r.b.marketplace) and starting a new
group that allows any given form of commercial speech is not that
hard. Using anything other than the charter as the basis for what
constitutes allowable commercial behavior is highly problematic, since
people do in fact disagree strongly on what constitutes proper
netiquette, which is amply demonstrated by every thread on this
subject that I have seen.

As Shaw's Caesar says of Britannus, "Pardon him Theodotus; he is a
barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the
laws of nature."

Present company excluded, of course.

WARNING: COMMERCIAL CONTENT INCLUDED IN SIG. Net.Vigilantes should
stop reading now!

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/