posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Whales and Diverter Valves

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 09:49:11 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

I have bronze seacocks that until recently hadn't been serviced in over 10
years. They worked perfectly. If I were going to do this, I would use
quality parts. I've never had a leak in any hose or connection, and I
inspect the critical ones regularly. I have main bilge and backup pumps. I
haven't made any decisions about doing this so far. I consider doing lots of
things to the boat but I probably do only 10 percent of them, being fairly
cautious about making changes.

Just to add some perspective to taking on water, and why boats sink,
this might be useful. Boat U.S. claims report.

http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/sinking/default.asp

Sinkings due to holing are a small percent.
I really do like the idea of a bilge alarm, and would put one in a
hidden bilge.

--Vic