Tom Francis - SWSports Tom Francis - SWSports is offline

Default The Mobile Infantry...

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 10:54:35 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 09:00:07 -0400, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:

One of the more time honored and venerable staples of science fiction,
presented most effectively in Robert Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" is
powered armor - in effect, turning the infantry into mobile tanks. In
fact, the one reason Verhoeven's movie "Starship Troopers" was such a
bomb with scifi fans, quite beyond the *******ization of Heinlein's
main story line, was the lack of powered armor. "Alien" was another
exoskeleton/powered armor used by Ripley to defeat the Alien.

Well, guess what?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/25/s...ening-reality/

WHOO HOO!!

This is more for moving heavy stuff around than fighting.
As long as the bad guys have RPGs, the idea of armored soldiers is
fantasy. We don't have that many vehicles that can take an RPG hit
without significant damage. That was why we had to "uparmor" our
HumVees and Bradleys

Jeepers man - lighten up. Dare to dream. :)