Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Salty - yet again re sailtrack system

I've got a couple of additional questions if you don't mind...

You were talking about your boat having the SailTrack (tidesmarine) system?
I was chatting with them about what it would take for my boat. I asked them
the approximate cost and it came back as something just shy of $1K. I have
13 intermediate slots that go into the track plus the head and tack
connections. I have 1/2 battens, so no batten cars are needed, just the
regular cars. Of course, I also need the track material, but the cost seems
high. They go by the mast height from the boom, so I guestimated 36', and
thus the $1K quote.

Did you investigate other alternatives? Is that on the order of what you
paid? I'd like to get something sooner vs. later at this point.

I was sailing her last Saturday (two instructors, me, and an advanced
student). We had sustained wind of over 30 kts with higher gusts. She
handled it beautifully, even though we had chop that was nearly as high as
the dodger...almost 10'. The choplets were coming pretty quickly.. every few
seconds. We didn't have a drop of water get below, but everyone got a
shower. We were single reefed both on the main and the jib was reduced. I
would have gone to a second reef, but the wind came on with no notice and it
was too dangerous to send someone up there. In the process, we snapped five
of the mainsail slots, but there was no sail damage.

Here are some pics...
http://picasaweb.google.com/SailNOW....eat=directlink

--
"j" ganz @@