posted to rec.boats.building
IanM[_2_] IanM[_2_] is offline

Default Liquid Nails

cavelamb wrote:

What I meant is that these adhesives need an air source to dry out.

It's not a chemical reaction (like a two part mix?), but a simple
outgassing of the solvents used.

Almost all single part tubes are that way.

Like Ed said, try some different ones on samples to find what will
work best for your stuff. They are cheap enough.

Richard

Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
Ah, I see. As I'm not sure exactly what I can buy here in Thailand - I
checked the Liquid Nails web site and they make more adhesive then
Sika. some of it recommended for exterior use and some not. I'll have
a look tomorrow or Monday and see exactly what I can get here. Sika
adhesive, for example, is NOT available however Sika sealant is...

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Our engine box is just inside the hatch and next to the galley it sees
significant amounts of water and of course it also gets fairly hot. It
is also the top step/navigators seat so gets heavy loads on it. The
wooden lid had split at all the joints and was sagging badly. It was so
bad it was hitting the engine's rocker cover and the vibration would
numb your arse. ;-(

It was also well impregnated with salt crystals, soot, engine oil and
diesel so wasn't going to be an easy repair. I was planning a new lid
at the end of the season but it more or less disintegrated on me so I
had to do *SOMETHING*. Unfortunately we were due to sail at dawn the
next morning and it was all ready after tea.

I knew it would have to be a quick and dirty job so looked in nearby
skips, hoping there was some shuttering ply or old hording like I'd seen
the previous week but no joy so I went to the nearest hardware store and
got a tube of Evo-Stick Wet Grab adhesive:

http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/product/evo-stik/serious-stuff-wet-grab

just before they closed and scavenged some thin scrap exterior ply from
a skip on the way back (1/8" IIRC) while my crew scrubbed the pieces
with hot soapy water to get the worst of the contamination off. When I
got back, I cut the ply to shape while my crew scraped down the joints
to remove the old failed glue, and roughed up the remaining varnish on
the underside.

I then wiped off with thinners and glued the pieces edge to edge with a
couple of gripfasts to hold them in place then screwed and glued the ply
to the underside. I was pretty generous with the glue as I reckoned I
couldn't afford to have any dry spots. After scraping up the excess, I
brushed on a single coat of Owatrol on the exposed face of the ply to at
least somewhat seal it and put it in place with a plank across the top
so we wouldn't break it before the glue had a chance to set.

We sailed in the morning, with my fingers crossed that it would last the
fortnight, removed the plank at lunchtime as the glue seemed pretty well
set and carried on with our passage. 400 NM later I was fairly
confident it would last for the rally I was heading for. Over two years
later, its holding up extremely well with absolutely no signs of
trouble. The underside has been sanded smooth and had a few more coats
of Owatrol to keep it sealed and easy to clean, but that's the only
attention its needed and a new lid for the box is so far down the winter
list, I haven't even thought about it till you mentioned using
construction adhesives. :-)

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a tube of Wet Grab in any cruiser's
emergency maintenance kit. I might have tried Liquid Nails but couldn't
find the exterior one quickly enough and the Bostik product claimed it
could even be applied in the wet. Also I don't like the ........ Nails
TV ads! ;-)

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL: