posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Liquid Nails

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 11:16:43 -0400, tiny
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 09:54:39 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .

Has anyone tried this construction adhesive - liquid nails, I believe
is one brand, for installing the ceiling inside a boat?

Generally the ceiling is just 1/8" or 1/4" plywood with some sort of
decorative covering that is used for a liner inside the boat. Covers
imperfections in the hull, screws, wiring and all the other stuff you
don't want to look at. On some boats it is simply shoved in behind
molding or put on with screws directly into the fiberglass.

I am considering gluing the ceiling in with something and came across
this stuff in the hardware shop, apparently used to install some sorts
of paneling in houses.

Any comments, pro or con?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce,
I've used it to glue solid wood to painted stucco (house numbers, military
specialty insignia) and the letters of our store name made out of thin
plywood to painted stucco. The wood to painted stucco have survived multiple
hurricanes and years of rains.
My wife uses it anywhere duct tape "just won't do".
You'd need to brace the ceilings in place while the glue dries and as long
the surfaces are clean and dry it should work.

Thanks for info. While, at the moment, I do not believe that I should
have to remove the ceiling, if I should how hard is it to remove
something that is attached using liquid nails? I assume that it would
be similar to something attached with Sikaflex or 3M 5200; difficult,
but possible.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

try a couple of pieces of wood and some liquid nails and cure it. Then
put it in water. IIRC it will turn to a soft white goo in a day or
three... It's been a while though, might be a waterproof type I don't
know about.
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

Ah! Ha! Just the sort of information I am looking for. I shall do an
immersion test and see what happens. Thanks much.