thudbranch thudbranch is offline

Default Help buying a boat - WA res - CA sales tax? Foreign use,.. WTF

On Oct 2, 8:15*am, (Richard Casady) wrote:
On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 14:43:49 -0400, Wayne.B

wrote:
On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 14:11:01 -0400, wrote:

The Documentation Center is an example of a Government run
organization doing everything RIGHT. They are very helpful, and
pleasant to deal with.

That has been my experience also. *A doc agent makes the job easy and
painless but you definitely can do it yourself. * Your biggest
challenge is probably going to be dealing with CA sales tax issues.
Every state is different but there is probably a way for you to take
delivery of the boat in Mexico (or elsewhere) and avoid taxation if
you plan things out carefully. *You may also find that you can take
delivery in CA if you leave within a certain time.

I have heard of delivery on the high seas.

Casady

In 1993 I took delivery of a 31' Dufour 3+ miles outside of San
Francisco so I would not have to pay sales tax to the state of
california. I seem to remember that since then they have loosened
their requirements slightly so if you leave the state within so many
days you pay no sales tax but I am not sure. Check with California
authorities before taking delivery. The tax is still in effect if the
boat is US documented or not!