Stephen Trapani Stephen Trapani is offline

Default garbage patch

hpeer wrote:
Stephen Trapani wrote:
hpeer wrote:
I recently read a pretty good book about the Climate Change argument.
And there is also some pretty interesting research out there if you
are looking for information.

What's the Worst That Could Happen?: A Rational Response to the
Climate Change Debate Greg Craven

The thrust is not to tell you what will happen but to help people
navigate their way through all the claims and counter claims. He
offers a simplified risk analysis approach to the topic. He also
offers his own personal opinion on the matter. I suggest you read
it. It's an easy read and the technique is useful in a lot of other
areas besides.

Something else interesting is a recent Yale/George Mason report on
American attitudes towards climate change. It seems that the deniers
fall into a fairly well defined demographic:
Well paid
Home owners
Older
Well educated
White
Men

research.yale.edu/environment/uploads/CCAmericanMind.pdf

You might ask yourself if your opinion is because of your reasoned
and enlightened thoughts - or because of the group you belong to.

As to my personal opinion - Playing the global warming game is
dangerous and should not be done lightly. If, in fact, GW is a hoax
and there is nothing to do then the worst we could do is to clean up
or environment and improve our gas mileage. That may come at the
cost of a recession.

The worst that may happen by "cleaning up the environment" is much
worse than that, and is in fact almost entirely unaddressed by anyone.
How much less CO2 production will it take to change anything? No one
knows. Will it results in massive unemployment and economic hardship,
a radical change in lifestyle and great decrease in quality of life?
No one knows. But, the radical greens don't care, right? Their agenda
is something akin to setting technology back a hundred years or so,
with no consideration for how much suffering it would cause anyone,
right? I mean, you're all sympathetic to that idea, right?

So don't pretend that the worst case scenario is just a little cleanup
and increased gas mileage of cars.

Stephen

No Stephen, you missed the point entirely. The worst that can happen is
run away warming that makes Earth largely uninhabitable. Is that
likely? I don't know. Is it possible? Yes. Your choice, their future.

We were talking about the worst case scenario, if we take global warming
seriously and really reduce CO2 emissions.

Stephen