posted to rec.boats.building
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Liquid Nails

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 20:21:28 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 22:39:02 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Bruce,
In 2006 I helped install a new bridge on a super yacht in Italy. No
fasteners were allowed to show anywhere, which is actually
quite a feat, but the most interesting observation I made was the
method to install the overhead.

It was constructed of 6" wide 1/4" plywood strips tapered slightly on
the edges and on both sides square plates about 1.5 by 2.5
inches were screwed to the back side of strip with 24" spacing. These
thin sheet metal plates were offset from strip to strip by a
little over one plate width. These plates were positioned 1/2 on the
strip and 1/2 off the strip. These were installed on thin
lathing fastened overhead with screws in sequence, one side to the
other, in the following manner. The first strip had glued to
the outboard edge a strip of industrial 3M plastic "Velcro", which made
contact with a corresponding strip on the lathing strip.
The other side was then screwed to the lathe. The next strip's
protruding plates were slipped under the just installed strip
between the lathe and that strip. On the opposite edge of the second
plank, the plates were screwed to its lathe and so on across
the overhead until the last strip was installed and there, just like
the first plank, was fastened with "Velcro" on its outboard
edge. No fastener showed. The overhead strips were very secure and
easily removed for maintenance purpose, if required. Of course
these strips were first fitted, then removed, sanded smooth and
finished in a spray booth with a flat white color before final
fitting. No grain or fastener showed anywhere. It was truly exquisite.
Steve

Thanks for information. This boat is a smallish 35 ' power boat that I
am refurbishing. The hull is essentially a fiberglass shell with a
encapsulated wooden frame. In addition there is a 1/2" - 3/4"
encapsulated reinforcement around each port to stiffen the cabin sides
in that area. This results in a rather "lumpy" interior which I plan
to hide.

As the motif is workboat all lighting and much of the wiring will be
run on the surface of the interior, in conduit or wire molding, so the
idea is to line the boat with 3mm ply surfaced with veneer or formica,
depending on the area.

I can bond a tee shaped strip to the hull and mount ceiling panels by
popping them under the tee but thought why not just glue the panels
in, directly to the hull.

Another poster tells me that he has used liquid nails and it doesn't
fall off so I think I'll go with that method. If worse comes to worst
and it does fall off there is always 3M 5200 - but that is a costly
method of attaching essentially decorative panels.

Lightweight paneling like that should work quite well just glued in.

Liquid Nail needs an air supply to dry it.
Trapping large amounts may cause it to take quite a bit longer to dry.

Other than that? Go for it!

Can you expand on the "need air". I thought it was used to put up wall
paneling and such like in houses. From the instructions on the tube
they say just smear on a bunch and push it in place. Good bond in a
day, full adhesion in 48 hours (I think). $2.50 a tube, or there
about.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

There are a lot of Liquid Nails products, Bruce. They make a tub/shower
surround material that's supposed to be much better for water exposure.

Take a look at their tech data and MSDS sheets:

http://www.klenks.com/products/info.jsp?type=msdsSheets

--
Ed Huntress