W6JCW Bob

Default CHB - What to watch out for

"Everett" wrote in
:

I'm thinking about a used CHB 34. Can anyone point out common
problems I should know about and watch out for in these 30 year old
beauties?? Anything along the lines of "if it hasn't been fixed by
now, you're going to have to ..."

Thanks and wish me luck!
Everett

Several ongoing problems with old CHB's. Watch out for dry rot in all
the window frames and cabin walls around the frames. Also, if it's a
sedan rather than an aft-cabin, look for dry rot in ceiling over
walkways. Stringers tend to have dry rot. Electrical systems were some
of the worst ever put in a boat. Fuel tanks are prone to need
replacement.

Those are some of the major things to look out for in an old CHB. If you
can find a good one, and there are lots of good ones out there..they are
great old boats...kinda slow with that 120 Lehman, but hell for stout.
Good Luck..