Len Krauss

Default Fuel transfer/polishing pump

Since this has gone on and on, may I restate and expand on my original
comment.

First step is to pump off whatever water and crap is on bottom of tank --
this from a pickup hose shoved to tank bottom or using a bottom drain cock
which are seldom seen..

Second step is to, while polishing, agitate fuel at bottom of tank using a
small L-shaped air discharge pushed down to tank bottom on a rod or dowel
and turned about as much as possible. Obviously the fuel furthest away from
the discharge will get the least agitation and baffles will reduce degree of
agitation for sure. But with the L-shaped discharge at the bottom and
turned, disturbance will flow through baffle bottom notches. The basic idea
is to get crud in suspension and moving so it can be captured by the
polishing pick up and filtered out.

It's not a perfect system and won't take the place of physically cleaning an
empy tank. But it seldom fails to be good enough for all practical purposes
for a majority of pleasure boats, probably with tanks up to 150 gallons. Can
last for years on active vessels. Or just until you get your next load of
crappy fuel.

Eliminate "ns" for email address.
Subject: Fuel transfer/polishing pump
From: "Doug Dotson"

I assumed it was understood that there would have to be a way for the

fuel
travel from one baffled area to the next.

And hence the crud as well.

Yes, but only if the fuel is well shaken, not "bubbled" in one baffle. And
that's the context that my answer was written in.

I assumed that was understood. :-)

Capt. Bill