posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Dennis Pogson[_2_] Dennis Pogson[_2_] is offline

Default Satellite Telephone/Internet recommendations

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
I'm looking for a reasonably priced satellite/internet option. I'm
seeing a lot of Iridium equipment on EBAY for $1500 or less. Has
anyone had experience enough with Iridium to know what the best
equipment choices are? Is there a better way for less than $3000
USD?

A friend of mine who recently installed such equipment for use on a trip
from Scotland to the Med. came to the conclusion that it was a complete
waste of money.

The periods when communication was available were so far-spaced and short in
duration that he only used the equipment once, and was unable to hear the
receiver's voice. I tried to contact him twice, without success.

I am not aware who the supplier was, so maybe Iridium are OK, but is it
really worth it?