Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Radar - attitude changes

"Roger Long" wrote in message
On Sep 28, 7:06 pm, Jeff wrote:

I've long been a fan of radar and feel its required to cruise Maine, and
usefuOne problem now is that while in the "old
days" (before low cost radar and loran/gps) the only fools out in the
pea soup were being ultra cautious, tooting horns, going slow etc,
nowadays every rich bozo thinks he can run his sportfish at 30 knots
because the radar and GPS will keep him safe. Almost every year I've
had a close call, the worst case happening a mile off of Cape Elizabeth.
If you sail in fog, radar is needed now for defense.

An excellent point and a major factor in my decision to install radar
that I didn't mention. Because of this factor, I was finding the fog
routes I considered acceptably safe much more restricted when I
returned to sailing in the post GPS world.

Do you have an AIS receiver? That's something I've been thinking about
getting. For me, the issue is making sure we get out of the way as
necessary. I don't think transmitting would make much diff in the bay, since
the really big stuff isn't going to be changing course.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com