Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Poor Skippy, aground again.

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 07:20:05 -0700 (PDT), Roger Long
wrote:

I also take it when I go ashore on remote islands now. I didn't
during the incident in May and it could have saved our butts. The
SPOT response center doesn't think in marine only terms so they will
respond just as quickly to an alert from the middle of an island or
city somewhere as from an on water location. It now goes in my pocket
for all island hiking expeditions.

Other then allowing friends and relatives to track your cruise, it
think the biggest value for the SPOT is exactly as you describe: In
the dinghy or remote hiking. I have a registered EPIRB but would
never take it in the dinghy under normal circumstances because it is
too bulky, too expensive and has too much risk of accidental
activation. An EPIRB also triggers a full SAR effort when it is
activated which is not always appropriate as you point out.

On the other hand there is very real risk of getting into trouble with
the dinghy when operating in remote areas. It has happened to others
when engines have failed at inopportune times, and wind or current has
prevented rowing back to the mother ship. It is also important to
carry a decent anchor and rode in the dinghy for the same reason.