Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Poor Skippy, aground again.

On Sep 29, 9:39*am, Wayne.B wrote:

Meanwhile our taxpayer
dollars have been funding a search party with a Falcon jet for some
number of hours. * Out, out damned SPOT... * *I own one but am
beginning to think it might be a hazzard. * It will be interesting to
hear the explanation, hope everyone's OK.

I'm very careful to tell all friends and family when distributing my
cruise plans and the SPOT link that they are NOT to worry or do
anything if the tracking stops. I tell them it's subject to outages
and forgetting to reset and tracking should be considered for fun only
and possibly helpful for route history in case a distress message is
sent out.

I think the Coast Guard jumped the gun on this search but they are
always trying to get airtime moved from the "training" column in the
budget to the "SAR" column so they were probably glad to go.

I'm very impressed with the SPOT unit after using it consistently for
two seasons. Like any other piece of equipment, it has to be used
properly. My preprogramed "Help" message includes a link to a web
page that includes everything SAR authorities might need to know and
complete instructions to receipients on what to do if they get a
message.

If I were going far offshore, I would also carry a standard EPIRB that
would automatically activate. My drill if I have to suddenly evacuate
due to catastrophic hull breach or fire is to grab the SPOT adn
portable VHF on the shelf next to the companionway and hit the red DSC
button on the main radio as I exit. SPOT would then be activated
from the dinghy. USCG is pretty apt to act quickly if they get a DSC
call including my GPS location and shortly after get a call from the
SPOT response center with the same location.

The think I like most about SPOT, next to the tracking, is the ability
to have friends or family privately send help such as SeaTow or a
local harbormaster instead of mobilizing the full resources of the
Coast Guard. There could be many situations in which this would be
more appropriate such as medical emergency or mechanical breakdown.

I also take it when I go ashore on remote islands now. I didn't
during the incident in May and it could have saved our butts. The
SPOT response center doesn't think in marine only terms so they will
respond just as quickly to an alert from the middle of an island or
city somewhere as from an on water location. It now goes in my pocket
for all island hiking expeditions.

--
Roger Long