Steven Shelikoff

Default Fuel transfer/polishing pump

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 20:02:22 GMT, Rich Hampel
wrote:

DO NOT depend on filters to remove the crud in your system. If they
plug it means that you are contaminated and need to clean your fuel
system. Such plugging clearly indicates a **symptom**, the filters
prevented the symptom from becoming an extremis situation. If your
system is plugging filters, they did do their job as they are supposed
to .... but now go back in and clean the system! Resident particles
form and agglomerate into more particles. Bacterial scums feed other
bacteria, etc. Your symptoms of plugging filters means your system is
contaminated.... a filtration system is a band-aid or a 'condom' to
prevent stoppage. Consider to thoroughly mechanically CLEAN the tank.

I considered it. And I realize that mechanically cleaning the tank and
entire fuel system on a regular basis would be the best solution. But
the polishing system I installed was much cheaper and solved the
problem. Even though it may be a band aid in your view in that the tank
walls are still dirty, that doesn't matter much to me as long as the
fuel going to the engine is clean. I'd probably be much more concerned
if I had a motorboat and depended entirely on the engine for motion.
But I have a sailboat and don't use the engine all that much. I only
burn maybe 30 gallons a year, and it's a 78 gallon tank.

Steve