KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default Buoyancy is Imaginary

Never argue bouyancy with Roger Long. ;-)

--
KLC Lewis

WISCONSIN
Where It's So Cool Outside, Nobody Stays Indoors Napping
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Several months ago, I made this statement during a discussion of
stability here. The minor flame war that resulted made it impractical
to defend the proposition and it wasn't much fun anyway.

While I was away, I had occasion to put together a web site section on
the subject of stability and made the subject line the title of the
first chapter. If anyone is interested in the technical aspects of
what floats their boat with a minimum of math, click:

http://www.rogerlongboats.com/Stability.htm

My son's former physics teacher reviewed the buoyancy section and
pronounced it "Beautifully explained" so it's had some minimum of
vetting aside from being basically a written version of a guest
lecture I used to present to college students.

The last chapter is a brief introduction to the endless foolishness in
the Coast Guard stability regulations for sailboats. This recently
got me an email from a retired inspector saying basically, "Thank
goodness someone finally said something!"

Enjoy