posted to rec.boats.building
JustWait JustWait is offline

Default Paddleboat using a riding lawn mower drive train.

In article 1,
says...

"Dan Listermann" wrote in
:

"Jim Willemin" wrote in message
.131...
"Dan Listermann" wrote in
:

I need a boat for a very shallow river. Paddles, especially with
stiff rubber tips, seem like a good alternative and a riding
lawnmower drive train would give me reduction, reverse and a variety
of gears. Anybody know of some experience?

seems to me you'd almost be better off poling. Lawnmower drivetrains
are kinda heavy, forcing you to either a deepish draft or a huge
boat, and paddles just don't seem like they are all that efficient.
On the other hand, something like a longish jonboat and a nice 8 foot
pole should take you most anywhere you want to go...

I intend to use a 14' johnboat. As for poling, it might be an option,
but the river can get deep too.

Interestingly, the guy down the street has a decrepit John Deere
electric riding mower. Batteries weigh a lot too, but it would be
quiet.

Speaking of weight, this is a big concern because the boat will need
to be hauled up a 10' bank.

well then - an 8 or 10 foot pole and some 9 foot oars. In either case, I
suspect you'd be as fast as a paddle-driven boat, and you'd get your
exercise too . Especially if you already have a 14 foot johnboat and
have to haul it up a biggish bank, I'd strongly consider the human-powered
option. On the other hand, though, I suppose you could get a 20 foot
comealong and a couple of 2x4s for skids and just ratchet up whatever
weight you wind up with when it comes time to beach the thing. Good luck!
Your idea sounds ingenious, actually - I'm just something of a Neanderthal
luddite...

I was thinking about this once.. I would build a tunnel type hull and
have a drive similar to a snow machine under the boat. It could propel
you over rocks, and even drive over shallow spots like a tank track. I
still have some things to work out, but think about it.