Jaz

Default restore salvaged performance sport fish?

I belive it did only sink in the ass end, but today I'll verify by
looking for a waterline. I also belive it sank only breifly (a $100K
boat probably doesn't stay swamped for very long).

Sure, I'd like to make $50K on this, but I'm trying to estimate a
worse case -- something like $20K would be an 'oh well', . I've owned
other large diesel-powered boats (and worked in large aerospace
facilities), so it's not the task itself that's daunting, it's the
idea that after I invest $50K that I might not even get that back.
Clams' idea that I'll have to disclose that it sank makes me feel that
this would not be a good project for profit, but perhaps only to get
myself into a nice boat, provided I'm willing to live with the
sank-stigma.

BTW, it's a '98 Albin TE 28 (30') -- now, don't any of you go making a
bid in this baby ;^)

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 10:29:34 GMT, "Clams Canino"
wrote:

If it only sunk in the ass (stern) you might be in a good position. If not,
prepare to rewire it end to end. I'd take something like this on - NOW -
only after experience rigging and re-rigging several hulls. Sounds a little
scary for a newcomer though.........

-W (In NH)

"Jaz" wrote in message
.. .

I'm considering restoring a salvaged boat for profit, so I'm looking
for advice on valuing it now and after restoration. It's a 1998 sport
fish and like boats (same make, model and year) are advertised at
$80-150K.

It sank in salt water 1 year ago due to a bad shaft seal, and the
engine was pulled, serviced and run (or so that's been claimed). My
first look at the boat was not under the pretense that it was a
salvage, so I only learned later that it had sunk, meaning that it was
not appearent on my first inspection and the overall condition is very
good. The Peninsular/GM V8 diesel is out and visually looks fine. I
plan to visit the boat again and inspect all wiring, controls,
hardware, etc. to determine what can be serviced and what needs
replacing (I'll try to dismantle what I can ge taway with, and I
expect to be able to get quotes for needed major parts from the
dealer.) The cabin seemed not to have flooded but I'll inspect all
equipment in there as well.

Not having access to BUC, I'll have to rely on a broker to estimate
what similar boats have sold for (vs. looking up for-sale listings
which are merely asking prices), and what effect a 'salvage' stigma
may have on it's post-restore value.

So again, what specific damage should I look for in a salt-water sunk
boat? Are there any other magor considerations I should factor in? I'm
ultimately looking to resell it.

Thanks, Jaz