Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Radar - attitude changes

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 15:31:00 -0700 (PDT), Roger Long
wrote:

As I said, I wouldn't sail without it now.

Yes, it's kind of addicting to be able to "see" what's around you at
all times. I cruised and raced for many years without radar, even
once passing under the bridge on Eggemoggin Reach without ever seeing
it in the fog. Then we bought our first serious powerboat 10 years
ago which had a nice Raytheon unit already installed. We quickly
learned to appreciate it at night and in inclement weather. Several
years later I had another breakthrough moment while riding on the
excursion boat from Boothbay Harbor out to Monhegan Island. That boat
had the same type of radar with one additional twist. They could
point at a target on the screen using a trackball, punch a few
buttons, and get back an on-screen data box showing the speed, course
and estimated CPA of the other vessel. Meanwhile the radar display
drew a vector line on the display showing relative direction and speed
of the target. I was immediately hooked and had to have one. Since
we were about to buy a new electronics package for our trawler I made
some inquiries about what was required. Depending on who makes your
radar it is either called an ARPA or MARPA option. It adds a few boat
bucks to the cost but is really useful and has given my wife the
confidence to stand radar watches at night by her self. Priceless!