[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Radar - attitude changes

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 13:41:09 -0700 (PDT), Roger Long
wrote:

I think, if you poke around in the archives of this group, you'll find
a post from me about a year ago pontificating about how I couldn't
justify the cost, weight, and power draw of radar cruising in Maine.

Yes. You thought I was quite foolish to have RADAR on my boat, and
couldn't understand why I thought it was good to have. G

In late June we sailed from Point Judith Pond to Wickford, RI without
being able to see more than 100 feet, and often less. Without RADAR,
we would have been stuck in Point Judith for several days. During the
entire 10 days of that trip, there was heavy fog, or fog/rain much of
the time. It did clear up while we were visiting Wickford and riding
our bikes around.

This is normal conditions for the first couple months of the season in
the Eastern LIS and Naragansett Bay areas. "Fair weather only"
sailors have a much shorter season than we do. We are often heading
out, as everyone else seems to be headed in.