Steve

Default Calculating distance from Lat/Long

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news

That will do it - thanks! Curious about how those formulae were developed,
though...

I once tried to imagine Bowditch working and refining his tables and
formulas manually. Must have been total dedication.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions
Lloyd

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 14:46:15 +0000, SpamJam wrote:

You want http://williams.best.vwh.net/avform.htm

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I'm writing a program for Linux that displays position (from GPS) on

scanned-in chart, and would like it to calculate distance from current
position to the cursor.

How do you calculate distance between two points using lat/long? If
they're due North/South, I can do it ( 1 minute of lat = 1 NM) but how

do
you calculate distance from longitude? Perhaps some formula based on

the
circumfrence of the Earth at the equator and the latitude?

Lloyd Sumpter