Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default Spot checking

" wrote in message
Gee Skip,
That Island Time WIFI setup works real well. Do you own patr of the
company.
It is a good system, but way overpriced. I can get the same results
for 80.00
rather than the almost 300.00 you paid.
with the NANO Station
Dave

Hiya...

I don't have a nano station (at least I don't think I do - but I can tell
you for sure, and if you've been around for a few years, you'll probably
recall that I went through the trials of the damned trying to make some
Senao junk work before being turned on to what I had before the bullet).
I've got a ubiquiti bullet...

If you're a geek, and can source a $60 antenna, $6 power supply, make up
your own custom cat5 cable, and whatever you'd have to pay for the bullet,
AAAAND... know what to do with it all, you might save a couple of bux over
the package price of $229 (I guess you didn't bother to go to the web site
to check it out before shooting off your mouth, right?) Bob Stewart charges
(but will endlessly support you if you're not a geek).

I have no interest whatsoever other than being a ridiculously difficult
service problem (going back to before I was even his customer, which tells
you what kind of guy he is, as he spent hours trying to help me get the
senao crap to work) to a previously full-time cuiser who went ashore to care
for family, and started this business to help other cruisers.

There's never been a dedicated (meaning, time is worthless to him, but geeky
stuff turns him on) computer (or network, which gets into a bit more
complication than just putting parts in a box) of any sort which couldn't be
built as cheaply or less than you could buy it retail, if you had the talent
(never mind how dearly it came), know how to find and spec the elements,
desire and time (never mind that you value it at nothing) to buy and
configure what you get. This system is no different.

If you think he's making a killing, you should probably go into competition
with him - especially as you're so smart and willing to walk folks through
it when they're not as smart as you.

I can tell you for sure, in my very limited exposure, that there's a huge
market among cruisers for a plug-and-play system; I've personally met or had
direct communication from more than I can count who are thrilled with the
outcome without having been the least bit technically savvy. I've also
helped rather more than I care to recall try to get whatever else they
bought to at least work, let alone even think about trying to equal the
performance of what I have - and what I have Bob will send you for $229, my
router which lets everyone else in range use it, too, excepted (but any
household wifi router will do that for you, so if you're smart enough to go
to Best Buy or walmart and pick it off the shelf and stick the cat5 into it,
you can manage that part without being a geek).

No, I have no interest othert than my complete satisfaction with what I
have, and especially in his customer service, before I was even his
customer. Perhaps in my next photo upload(s) to my gallery, I'll include
some screen shots of what I've been seeing offshore - such as the 83
stations off Daytona, one of which I was connected to when the phone rang
(Vonage, requiring internet, but my same number I've had for the last 30
years will ring all over the world). The last several postings, this too,
have been made under way. Even Bob's impressed.

What do you use when you're in foreign territory (my cell phone won't work
all around the world, and aside from the $25 a month I pay Vonage, it's
free) for your internet and phone???

L8R

Skip, under way off florida, about 3 miles off Jupiter Island

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)