Howard

Default Toilet Question

Coincidentally, I just replaced the 5 year old conversion kit in our aft head a
couple months ago on my 1998 Beneteau 411. It was not just a gasket that was
failing, it was deterioration of the plastic. Not a repair kit for *that*
problem. Probably should have gone back to the manual pump, but I spent nearly
$400 for the identical replacement at West Marine...ouch...! Well...at least it
was an easy replacement, and didn't have to pay anyone to do the job for
me.... :/
Yes, they do draw a LOT of current plus they're noisy, but my wife brings too
many guests aboard that don't have a clue about how to use the manual pump Our
forward head is still manual...and I personally would advise against having an
electric head unless the boat has 2 heads so that at least 1 would remain
manual.
Howard.

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:14:57 GMT, Peggie Hall wrote:

; Steve wrote:
; I recently bought a boat with the following head setup: Groco toilet with
; Jabsco electric conversion model 29200-0120. I have to take it apart to
; replace a leaky base gasket, but was wondering if putting a manual pump back
; on would give more reliable service. Other than the leak, the electric unit
; seems to work fine. Does anyone have observations/experience as to the
; quality and effectiveness of this particular piece of equipment?
;
;
; The only thing left of the previous Groco toilet is the bowl...it's been
; converted to the Jabsco. It's not the best electric toilet for the
; money...for one thing, it draws a whopping 26 amps a flush, compared to
; 16 used by most other raw water macerating electric toilets...for
; another it costs the same or more as much higher quality conversions,
; but has half or less the average lifespan. But you have it, and it's
; working now. So if all it needs is a gasket, I'd keep it till it needs
; more serious repair. However, as long as you have to take it apart to
; the replace the gasket, I wouldn't just stop there, I'd put a complete
; rebuild kit in it.
;
; Also, as the unit contains a macerator, which I assume manual pumps do not,
;
; No...they don't.
;
; I was wondering if this would have any benefit with regard to reducing the
; likelihood of the holding tank pump-out tube becoming blocked with solids
; when trying to pump the tank.
;
; Large quantities of macerated solids and TP are less likely to clog the
; toilet discharge hose..otoh, they can clog a macerator. However, I've
; never heard of solids ever preventing a tank from being pumped out. A
; wad of the wrong toilet paper can (and will also clog up a
; macerator)...a tampon, condom, paper towel or anything else that
; shouldn't have been flushed down ANY marine toilet can...an accumulation
; of sludge can...but solid waste is 75% water to begin with...and it's
; broken up and "mooshed" as it goes through the head TO the tank..so
; solids are about 90% dissolved by the time they get into the tank. They
; don't give any pumpout capable of emptying a tank at all any problem
; whatever in pumping out the tank, whether the waste in the tank has been
; macerated or not.
;
; Peggie
; Peggie Hall
; Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
; Author "Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and
; Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
; http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html