Larry W4CSC

Default cell phone coverage on boat - Key Biscayne to Key largo

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 05:34:47 GMT, Michael Kelly
wrote:

Thanks Larry,

I appreciate the info, I did not know how long we could still use the
good cel phones. My wife got in on a $15/month cel phone plan, and I'm
at $20.
My wife and I still use our old 3 watt monsters. I kind of take the
Zen view of phones in that "they are my tools, they are not my master".
I've never been tempted to take my bag phone into a restuarant. My
phone can be plugged into the lighter outlet if I want to make a call.
When I use the phone, my conversations are clear, even in very rural areas.

Oh, I carry the Motorola TX200 with me into restaurants. Younger
people have never seen one and I'm frequently approached to ask about
how well it works.

To Verizon's dismay, I let them make a call so they can hear the
beautiful FM fidelity, without the digital delays and distortions of
their little toyphones. Most of them, exposed to cellular's
brainwashing that AMPS is terrible, noisy, distorted and just awful to
reduce demand for AMPS cellular service, are astonished that they've
been lied to by the companies.

Compared to 8 or 13 Khz digital schemes, AMPS sounds like FM
stereo...(c;

I'll get off AMPS when they drag the bagphone handle from my DEAD COLD
HANDS.....

Larry W4CSC

NNNN