Ed

Default cell phone coverage on boat - Key Biscayne to Key largo

I get decent coverage in the ICWW and hawks channel all the way down
with my AT&T phone. The reefs are sketchy (5 miles out).

I can hit anywhere with my VHF (I have 2 9db antennas 40ft off the
water) I think the formula is 1.14 *SQRT of the height in FEET= Max
miles of reception. (Add your antenna range to the receiving antenna
range)
For my that is 7 NM for me to the horizon and then another 7NM for a
similar vessel to me for 14 NM. BUT... the USCG and Seatow have hugh
antennas so I have hit them from Bimini before (48 NM). Do the math for
your set and try and test it on open water.

wrote:
Hello. Any know.

How far out do cell phones work on the atlantic around Key Biscayne to
Key Largo. Elliot Key is about 8 miles out from Black point marina,
does a cell phone work to and from the mainland?

Also, new to boating, and my boat has ship to shore radio, I think it
was getting a signal when I tested the boat, would that same radio
produce any signal or even turn on with the key out and the boat 15
miles inland? Getting nothing right now.

Thanks!