Greg

Default Need some "waterproof" 12 v power connectors

Rick,
Yes it can me messy, but I just wipe it with paper towels...the shop type.
Not that much is actually put on, just enough to replace air gaps when the
heat shrink, shrinks. This reduces the cure time as does the heat gun
shrinking the tubing. The stuff I got from the line men 30 years ago had a
strong acetic acid smell then, as it does now. I would not use it on a
connection needed for deep water, high pressure, or for anything needed to
last longer than a couple of years...tops. I use it on temporary
connections that I want to seal but still be able to cut open and disconnect
later. Remember I am not talking gobs and gobs of RTV, only a dab or two.
Forgive the non-tech measurements, but DIYrs will understand me...I think.

Incidentally, I just finished some life testing on a new series of coffee
pots, which I cleaned daily with 4% acetic acid (white vinegar). After the
equivalent of several years of accelerated testing, I opened the units and
checked. All my connectors and control panel enclosures which were sealed
with the RTV were fine, but the hose clamps were badly corroded from vinegar
steam leakage. I am not seeing any problems with the RTV corroding
electrical connectors or electronics boards on any of this testing or the
other testing which I have done.

I think I will set up some life testing in the lab and see if I can create a
corrosion problem with the RTV. I will let you all know what I find out.
Greg Luckett

"Rick" wrote in message
link.net...
Greg wrote:

I shrink mine from the middle out to squeeze out excess RTV.

That is incredibly messy isn't it? The adhesive filled heat shrink that
Steve mentioned is a far better alternative. The adhesive will bond to
most wire jackets while RTV just won't stick well enough to depend on.
The heat shrink is self contained, no messy tubes, no rags, no drips or
blobs of excess goo ...

Rick