Dan Best

Default Tayana 37

In general, the Tayana 37's are great boats with a very loyal following.
I've been told, but never had it verified that more SSCA members have
them than any other boat/model. Be sure to check out Sailnet's Tayana
listserver if you're really serious about this.

Things to look for:
The structural stainless steel (chain plates, etc.) is not up to the
same high standards as the rest of the boat. Make sure the surveyor
takes a good look at them.

Ta Yang (the yard that builds them) installs a black iron fuel tank
under the V-berth and a SS water tank in the bildge to increase ready
storage Bob Perry designed it with the fuel in the bildge and the water
tanks them under the settees. Some owners have had to replace the fuel
tanks (a tough job) and a few (including me) have had to replace the
water tanks (a relatively easy task, but cost me about a grand when it
was all said and done). The fuel tanks corrode from the outside when
the channel along the stem which the the anchjor locker drains through
cloggs with debris. My water tank suffered electorlysis from dropped
screws, coins, etc. becomming wedged between it and the bottom of the
bildge then being exposed to salt water There was also corrosion along
some of the welds.

No boat is the perfect boat for everybody, but if this is the kind of
boat you are looking for, they are truely wonderful examples of the type.

As far as single handing goes, it's no big deal.

Where are you located? If it's N. Calif., I'll be happy to take you out
for a daysail and let you see what we love about ours (we keep TJ at
Bodega Bay).

Murray W. Wires wrote:
I am seriously looking at the Tayana 37 as a cruiser to do some serious
coastal/offshore sailing and would appreciate any informed opinions on this
boat. Specifically, does this boat suffer from any fleet wide hull or
rigging problems I should be sure to have the surveyor examine closely.
Also, given the boat is suitably rigged, how would you rate the boat for
singlehanding. Thanks

--
Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979