posted to rec.boats.building
Paul Oman Paul Oman is offline

Default aluminum hull protection

EASI54 wrote:
I have an aluminum hull which I have sandblasted and would like to know
the best approach to sealing the keel/hull seam for added protection
against any pin hole leaks that might exist prior to primer. I've heard
of many primers and would like to know which one works the best, zinc
chromate which will eventually be phased (inorganic I believe) or
organic or other primers like Dupont's Variprime. The methods of
barrier coating seem overwhleming! I want to do it right before I
proceed,.

My two cents in this scenario would be tar epoxy after the selected
primer then finish up fairing the area. Honestly, I am new to this
being my first boat and have time to get it right the first time.
Anyone that would like to weigh in on this that has good credentials
like Steve, is welcomed.

John

An aluminum filled moisture cured urethane (MCU coatings) - several
coats. Then an epoxy but NOT a coal tar epoxy.

email me privately for more specifics - --- this
is a non-commercial news group!

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers, inc.
www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html