[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Labor Day Sail for Heart of Gold

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 10:26:29 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

LOL. I may just go with standard materials this time. But the nice
thing about the black main is that when we meet friends out on the
water we're easy to spot!

Badly trimmed, backed or luffing sails of any color are always easily
noticed. (As in, "Just look at THAT idiot!")

Wilbur Hubbard

I was sailing with a VERY famous sailor one day, and I tried to razz
him about the slight backwinding of his main. He said that on that
particular boat, the best speed at that point of sail was attained
based more on the trim of the genoa, and if it bothered anyone, they
could think of the deformity in the main as a "speed bubble". Doing
anythng to reduce the bubble would slow the boat down.