EASI54 EASI54 is offline
Junior Member

Default aluminum hull protection

I have an aluminum hull which I have sandblasted and would like to know the best approach to sealing the keel/hull seam for added protection against any pin hole leaks that might exist prior to primer. I've heard of many primers and would like to know which one works the best, zinc chromate which will eventually be phased (inorganic I believe) or organic or other primers like Dupont's Variprime. The methods of barrier coating seem overwhleming! I want to do it right before I proceed,.

My two cents in this scenario would be tar epoxy after the selected primer then finish up fairing the area. Honestly, I am new to this being my first boat and have time to get it right the first time. Anyone that would like to weigh in on this that has good credentials like Steve, is welcomed.

John