Jere Lull

Default Need some "waterproof" 12 v power connectors

Terry wrote:

solomio wrote:

Need some "waterproof" 12 v power connectors for the new spreader
light wiring that I'm having to do. Any suggestions for inexpensive
and somewhat waterproof 2-conductor connectors for about 14 ga wire?

I've used trailer wire connectors previously and they're certailny
cheap and available -

I have to rewire our mast (30 ft Al. Westerly Tiger) and also
completely redo the connection of the mast wiring into the boat.
About five wires and a VHF coax. All 'running' and the anchor
lights will now be on the mast.
A repair to our boat on behalf of the previous owner, following a
dismasting, by a presumably competent person, mounted two three
pin connector sockets flat on the fibreglass deck adjacent to the
bottom of the mast with wires through. Wires coming from the mast
plugged into those sockets.
Water got into the sockets and then seeped down into the wooden
deck pad inside the fibreglass deck under the mast step. Water
froze and mast step heaved and cracked deck. A mess!

An alternate that some Tanzers have used and seem to like: a "J" tube
coming through the deck near the mast (and protected by it). Wires can
be long enough to go to terminal strips. Some boats have no break in
the coax between the antenna and VHF -- the plug fits through the tube.
The tube can be heavily caulked, the wires have 3 less places corrosion
can form; Lots of benefits and few drawbacks or drips.

(I went a different route, but am thinking of installing a tube for this
spring.)

--
Jere Lull