Rich Hampel

Default Fuel transfer/polishing pump

All this discussion about filtration is actually misleading. If you
periodically inspect and or clean the tank occasionally, you will have
minimal problems.

Buy only 'fresh' fuel. Clean your tank every now and then. Use a
recirc. filtration system. Dont worry, be happy.

Fuel Oil ages and with time polymerizes into particulate which adhere
to the tank walls only to break loose when you dont want it to.
Bacterial infect the oil, use the iron components and oil as nutrients
and then form slimes that adhere to the tank walls. When these bacteria
die the cellular components make a thick soup. All these particles are
'grown' in the tank. The more the particles the more will form.
Occasional tank cleaning will keep the particulate load low and reduce
the need for filters.

The real answer is to get in and inspect & clean the tank on a routine
basis. Steam works best and you can usually get into most of the
hidden places even behind baffles, etc. If you cant get steam, then a
long handled brush and elbow grease will be of benefit.

Most fuel in the USA is quite clean. If you buy 'fresh' fuel from a
high volume distributor you will get very little 'old' oil. Dont
'store' lots of fuel in your tankage, buy what you need, and dont top
off the tank every time you need it. Find a way to drain the water
from the tank to retard bacteria growth.

Then ..... if you have a clean tank, fresh fuel .... the challenge to
the filters will be VERY minimal.

If anyone wants to see a schematic of my filtration system (with
independent recirc. system and emergency 'day' tank) send me an eMail
at remove the NOSPAM to send. My recirc.
system does virtually all the work, its so efficient that I'm thinking
about removing the complicated 'Racor Train' for a single small Racor
and a 'guard' filter. My 'day' tank will permit 2+ hours of running
without even changing a fully plugged filter - If I cant solve a fuel
problem in 2 hours, I shouldnt be sailing. My fuel system is a
pressure sytem instead of the typical vacuum system to enhance the
filter lifetime. I use gauges to monitor filter performance .... and so
far I havent had ANY challenge to the Racors in almost 5 years. I
clean out the tankage every two years. When I start travellilng to
the 'third world', I add a Baja filter to the delivery pipe to keep out
all the rocks stick and feathers.

Hope this helps.
:-)

In article , LaBomba182

Subject: Fuel transfer/polishing pump
From: "Doug Dotson"

One poster mentioned that Raycor type filters
don;t make good polishing filters because they are surface filters and
clog up quickly.

Well, they would be wrong.
Like Glenn said, you need to use the right size filter for the job.

The paper towel and toilet paper types are better
for polishing.

Yeah no doubt. Things designed to wipe your kitchen counter and wipe your ass
will beat a Racor for filtering fuel everytime.

Next you'll be adding an Algea-X into the mix. :-)

Capt. Bill