Rich Hampel

Default Fuel transfer/polishing pump

At Trawlersfest I had two lengthy discussions with paper towel filter
advocates. Their
theory is that the random oriented strands of the paper towel can trap any
size particle,
down to sub-micron, instead of acting like a sieve to pass through anything
below a given
size (they like to avoid mentioning that the "sieve" stops anything above
it's rated
size).

Next time you get into this type of discussion, ask them how the fibers
are held together so that they dont release particles under increasing
differential pressure. You need a resin to hold the fibers together.
Then ask them how much particulate bypasses the 'knife edge' seal that
'bites' into the end of the paper roll.
Then get a glass of water, crumple up some of their paper roll, put it
into the glass of water. Wait to see how long the paper takes to
disintegrate into a slurry. Tell me where on this planet that there
is NO water in fuel oil, either as free water or as an emulsion.
;-)