Lloyd Sumpter

Default "Chesapeake Bay Boat Buying" followup/Boat search update

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 05:54:03 +0000, WaIIy wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 03:14:14 GMT, "Skip Gundlach"
.due.to.spam wrote:

Howdy...

I'm in the next stage of our boat search, with very encouraging results. We've
found several boats which work for us; the next step is to continue with the
trip(s) to the rest of the close to 200 candidates identified in this last
research. I'll expand on that in a separate post.

Your stories are certainly interesting, but are you *sure* you are going to buy
a boat?

Another comment: Are you SURE you need a broker?

Seems to me the first broker you mentioned did some broker-like things, like
trying to narrow your search, give you advice, etc. You rejected it (which is
fair enough). In fact, you seem to be someone who doesn't like to be TOLD stuff
- you want to form your own conclusions. So I'd say you DON'T need a broker to
hold your hand while you notate, measure, video, etc. all the boats you're
looking at.

Seems like you only need a broker to negotiate price once you've settled on a
boat, and you're probably wasting THEIR time asking them for advice then not
taking it.

Why not go to the broker with this in mind? Tell him you'd like to look at these
boats by yourself and form your own conclusions, and let him know what the
result is. I think you'd be thanked. As someone else said, you want to buy a
boat, not be sold one.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36