Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Internet on the Ocean

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 00:21:07 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 18:28:18 -0500, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

silverdragon wrote in news:91685a8a-6561-44c5-
:

This is probably a stupid question but I haven't come across an answer
in any of my sailing books.

How would you go about getting e-mail and an internet connection while
on the open ocean? What kind of equipment would you need to buy, and
what is the cost of the service?

Learn to disconnect from the Internet. I know it's not easy, but I used to
run an Internet company and am very used to being connected. However, with
Sailmail/Airmail you can still be connected and not need the web interface.
Remember, cruising is about letting go of your land based connections. And
believe it or not, you can do it!

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Slocum got along without an engine or anything electric.

Casady

I wonder how many people would be satisfied in cruising the way that
Slocum did it?

And, if Slocum was alive today would he would want a GPS or chart
plotter?
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)