Brian Whatcott

Default Fuel transfer/polishing pump

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 07:00:00 GMT, Rich Hampel
wrote:

Thats entirely untrue (Im being 'kind' here)

If you generate a bacterial slime/gel, that slime will 'de-polarize'
and block the flow based on surface area. Just compare the surface of
an open spaced (pleats not toughing together) pleated filter versus the
surface area of a cylindrical paper roll.

This appears to be the benefit held out by depth filters: their
effective surface area is higher than pleated resin coated paper
filters, because the filter surface is spread through the depth of
the medium.

Also show me ANY data that you have on removal capacity on a per weight
basis vs. particle retention for a "roll of paper" filter.

Weight basis versus particle retention?
Not sure what you mean here.

You can of course document to an industry wide standard OSU F-2 test
stand test regime ???? I think not.

I don't know.

Do you have any retention efficiencies versus face velocity or
gpm/psid??

The retention efficiency is extended to smaller particle sizes for
depth type filters than surface type filters.
This ought not to be surprizing - the same effect is seen in any depth
type filter: for example, the glass filters you place in the home air
conditioner can have a ball point pressed through them, yet retain
rather small particles....

Whats the wet-strength of a roll of Charmin? Bounty? What is thier
average retention rating?

Heavy water contamination would be a weakness of non- resin paper
elements, in my view. But then again, allowing significant water to
remain in a fuel sytem is asking for trouble. The usual remedies are
1) Sump sampling/draining.
2) Water separation cup/drain in the feed line (even tractors have had
these for about 80 years!)

Would you prefer the water to get through a resin coated paper surface
filter and stop the engine?

If you cant, its just SNAKE-OIL.

Actually no.

It's a non-sequitor to say what is not documented, is thereby
demonstrated as mythical ('snake-oil')

Can you document the particle retention profile of the air
conditioning filters that you PERSONALLY use????
I think not (to use your turn of phrase...)

Brian W