Jere Lull

Default "Chesapeake Bay Boat Buying" followup/Boat search update

Kathy Mumma wrote:

We are just researching now and planning to buy next winter. But your post
brings up a question I have, if you don't mind.
Does the group think it is better/cheaper to buy from an owner privately; or
a broker? It seems the broker prices are more inflated and the boats carry
less equipment. Some seem stripped actually.
The privately owned boats better equipped?
I realize this is subjective of course. I imagine many will buy "up" to
larger boats and move equipment.
This will be first boat so this will be a large factor.
Any input welcome!
Thanks,
Kathy M.

Generally, we find that brokered boats are cleaner, with less junk lying
around. (There are exceptions; Xan was one.) Most of the extra stuff on
some boats is pretty much going to be replaced or tossed. It's sorta
cool at first to have some of the personal stuff onboard, but it
eventually finds its way to the trash bin. Even a lot of electronics and
other "useful" gear is often out of date or near its useful life. For
instance, I never found LORAN to be particularly useful even if the
previous owner (PO) used it regularly. Xan's old crystal-controlled VHF
was immediately replaced along with the depth and speed equipment which
seemed okay, but was pretty much DOA. On some boats, the various fabrics
on cushions and windows would have been the first to be replaced.

'Course, every boat, PO, and buyer is different. Often, an owner sells
privately because a broker recommended a lower value than they think
their baby is worth. Often a truly great deal is available via broker,
particularly if your first bid is appropriate for the actual market for
that boat.

Key to everything is your knowing about what a particular boat is
actually worth on the market. That requires a bit of research on your
part, but that is far easier these days than it was a decade ago.

--
Jere Lull