thunder thunder is offline

Default Tragedy at OIB

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 14:07:37 -0500, Vic Smith wrote:

http://www.thesunnews.com/142/story/...k=omni_popular

There are more parasailing accidents than people might think. These
women were reported to be 56 and 60 years old. Every time I see that
parasailing I think a bit about the physics of what I'm seeing and all
the things that can go wrong. Guess I'm just a big chicken, but I never
wanted to do it, and never wanted my wife or kids being towed up there
either. But maybe I just didn't want to pay for it.

Q. How many accidents have there been?
A. The PSC estimates that from 1990 thru 2003 (in the USA) there were
over 324 accidents, 68 of which resulted in serious bodily injury and 11
deaths in the USA and its territories. Their have 11 deaths between 2003
and 2007 (These statistics are based USCG reports state / local law
enforcement, local reporting agencies, individual accident reports, eye
witnesses accounts from parasail operators and other sources deemed
reliable)
From: http://www.parasail.org/faqs_874s.htm

That's a fair deal of deaths. I would have thought that it was much
safer than that.