posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Floating dock.

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:59:21 -0400, "Dan Listermann"
wrote:

I have built a floating dock from treated 1/2" 4 x 8 plywood, skirted with
treated 2x4s and supported by 9 cable restrained 15 gallon plastic barrels.
Currently I have two of these tied together with 8' 2 x 4s using lag bolts.
The resulting dock is 8' x 8'. I want to double the size with two more
sections for a total size of 8' x 16'.

The river floods occasionally so I will want to be able to take the docks
out. This will involve dragging them up about 12' of bank. I want to
disassemble the four sections to do this. I am looking for a way to connect
the four so that they can be easily disassembled and reassembled without me
getting too wet in the winter. So far, I have bought hanger bolts and wing
nuts that I intend to use with 16' 2x6 boards on either side. This will
work, but it will be very tricky to get all the holes aligned at once.

Any suggestions?

On commercially made marina docks I have seen two methods of joining
the sections. Thick rubber connectors - just an oblong piece of thick
(maybe 1 inch) piece of rubber with bolt holes along each edge; and,
second, short sections of chain - three links. One link bolted to each
side and one link for flexibility.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)